Topics on this page
If the system fails, the virtual appliance goes into fallback mode and permits all traffic on the appliance.
The following table identifies causes, severities, and resolutions to the most common fallback conditions.
||FPGA has reported an error.||Critical||Contact your Trend Micro representative for assistance, or create a support report.|
||One or more processes are unresponsive.||Critical||Contact your Trend Micro representative for assistance, or create a support report.|
||The appliance's health score—calculated using factors such as disk, temperature, and PSU—has reached the low critical threshold.||Critical||Contact your Trend Micro representative for assistance, or create a support report.|
||One or more critical processes have surpassed the maximum threshold.||Critical||Contact your Trend Micro representative for assistance, or create a support report.|
||Appliance is inspecting traffic (normal state) or user has manually initiated fallback to pause inspection (fallback state)||Info||Normal state means appliance is operating correctly; if in fallback state, restore to normal state to resume inspection.|
||One or more critical processes have crashed and cannot be recovered.||Critical||Contact your Trend Micro representative for assistance, or create a support report.|
||Appliance is dropping more than 90% of all packets that it receives because of over-subscription or over-tuning.||Critical||Verify the your appliance is no longer over-subscribed, and restore it to normal state to resume inspection.|
||An unknown error has occurred on the appliance.||Warning||Contact your Trend Micro representative for assistance, or create a support report.|
To manually enter fallback mode, navigate to Appliance → All Appliances → [Appliance name], and select the General tab. Next to Inspection State under Troubleshooting, click on the Inspecting traffic toggle to stop inspecting traffic and enter fallback mode.
Reboot a virtual appliance
In the event that a virtual appliance fails because of an unexpected condition or an unrecoverable fallback error, you might need to reboot your appliance to recover from the unexpected condition.
To reboot a virtual appliance, navigate to Appliance → All Appliances → [Appliance name], and select the General tab. Under Troubleshooting, click Reboot Appliance.
Create a support report
If you encounter any issues, you can create a support report to make troubleshooting easier. Trend Micro technical support may also require a report if you file a ticket.
To create a report, navigate to Appliance → All Appliances → [Appliance name], and select the General tab. Under Support Report, choose one of the following options:
- Send to Trend Micro: Generates a troubleshooting report and sends it to a Trend Micro server. For additional assistance with your issue, open a Support ticket.
- Send to custom location: Generates a troubleshooting report and sends it to your server. You can attach this report to a Support ticket that you create and send to Trend Micro. Learn more about creating a Support ticket.
Note: If the Send to Trend Micro button is greyed out, your appliance must be updated to the latest available version to proceed.
If you opt to send a report to your server, enter the Destination URL where you want the report to be sent. This URL can be from any web server, public or private, that is accessible from your Network Security virtual appliance and accepts unauthenticated HTTP PUT file uploads, including the filename in the URL. If you are using an AWS S3 bucket, follow the guidance below when entering a URL:
- The URL must be 255 max characters, include the file name and file extension (.tar.gz), and an x-amz-acl parameter. For example, https://<bucket-name>.s3.amazonaws.com/<file-name>.tar.gz?x-amz-acl=bucket-owner-full-control.
- S3 bucket access must be set to public and allow PUT object action.
- After you retrieve the report, delete the S3 bucket or change bucket settings to private.
- Generate reports with a unique file name or URL to avoid errors.
- You can only run one report at a time. An error occurs if you try to run or start another report before the first has finished.
Removing a virtual appliance
Use this API to remove inactive virtual appliances that still appear in the Appliances table in the Network Security management interface even after they are terminated.